Sunday, June 7, 2015

Inspired to Imitate

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

And yes, I did do my hair and makeup for this picture just to make as similar a copy of 1989 as I could. But it is obviously not the same.

Entire industries are built off this principle of copying. It is the foundation celebrities stand on. People long to be trendsetters, and establish their careers and following this way.

We all see the famous in the news. They influence our clothing, style, pictures, and activities. Then, their influence becomes so ingrained, we think their ideas are our original thoughts.

Growing up, I hated when someone would copy me. When someone dressed like I did, talked like I did, or followed me around, it would drive me insane. I didn't understand why people acted this way, and I wanted to be original. Yet at the same time, I found myself wishing I was like other people around me.

We all imitate each other, yet we desire to be unique. This tension follows us wherever we go; a balancing act between being ourselves, yet fitting in. Just like this picture, we strive to look like one another, and at the same time try to put our own twist on it. Then, we call it "original".

There was only one special, original, unique person to have walked this earth, and is supposed to be our inspiration for imitation. Jesus Christ imitated God fully, yet was the incarnation of the Almighty. He was both, and exemplified it perfectly.

That is why we strive to be original, but also imitate at the same time. It is at the core of our nature to not understand the dichotomy between the two.

"Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children." (Ephesians 5:1).

In the same way we imitate our parents due to their great influence throughout our years, God should be at the top of that influence and our role model each and every second of our lives. He should be so ingrained in our hearts and minds, striving to be more like him would be second nature.

But, imitation is not the original and it falls short every single time. As much as we try to look and dress like our role models and celebrities, play like our professional athletes, sing and perform like artists and actors, we aren't them.

In the same way, we are created in God's image, but we are no where near where he is and never will be.

"Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face." (1 Corinthians 13:12)

The whole point of our existence is to imitate God and someday be reconciled with him, the author and perfecter of our faith.

So what does this look like? Jesus told us himself that we must keep the commandments, love one another, above all love God, and give all we have to those who lack (Matthew 19). The gospels are a great place to start, because Jesus lived out the perfection of God and laid out the perfect example of how we as followers of God are to impact the world.

Although it is not clear to us now, someday it will be. In the meantime, we can do our best to imitate the great I Am, knowing we will come short every time, but also knowing his grace will meet us right where we are.

DTI




No comments:

Post a Comment