Tuesday, December 23, 2014

To Regret, or Not to Regret

We seem to always measure life as black or white. We fail, or we succeed. We love, or we hate. We regret, or make the most of something.

Something I've struggled with lately is regretting some moments in the past.

Normally, you would hear that and think the worst. But, I mean "little" things. Like saying goodbye, not trying a new food, not calling a friend when you felt he would need it most, or today, for example, when term GPA's came out.

For each of us, this looks different. But mainly, I've noticed we regret not fighting to save something special; that meant the world to us.

The question I've asked myself lately is how do I find peace amidst it all? Because at the end of the day, I have an amazing life. I'm so beyond blessed, and thankful to God for each day here on earth. I have amazing friends, family, and opportunities. I almost feel bad for regretting.

But, if I'm not careful, the past will creep up on me. The mistakes can still swallow me whole in my weakest moments.

"...But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead." (Philippians 3:13)

I want to believe God orchestrated each and every mistake and shortcoming to lead me on this path I already walk. Life is too short for "what ifs" and "maybes". It's too short for regrets and losing sanity.

That doesn't mean I don't miss those I said goodbye to.

And that doesn't mean I don't think about the past. I just pray daily that God helps me when I do. I don't know what that looks like, but he knows what I need more than I do and long before I realize how to ask for it.

God does not call us to live in fear of our next regret. He desires for us a vivacious life, full of love and hope and meaning. This purposeful life is one I need God to redirect my mind toward.

And when he meets me there, I find my peace.

"Forget the former things; do not dwell in the past. See! I am doing a new thing" (Isaiah 43:18)

And God always will, because he works things out "for the good of those who love him". Remember that.

Here's the thing: It's impossible to live without regrets. We want to believe we can. We make motivational posters, write song lyrics, and have motivational speakers about it. But, this just proves that it's an unavoidable problem, since everyone deals with it.

Only one person lived without regrets: Jesus.

That's what makes Christmas time so special. We remember when Jesus gave up everything and came down to this earth to die for you and me. He became sin, who knew no sin. He became human, from divine. He demonstrated an ultimate love...

...and never regretted a single moment of it.

God, I pray that you always reminisce with me, and guide my future. With you, I know I won't falter. Thank you for your perfect gift, and for knowing exactly what you're doing, with no regrets. That you don't regret a single thing and would do it again in a heartbeat is an immeasurable love.

This Christmas, remember that during this season of looking back.

And don't forget to always look to what's ahead.

Merry Christmas :)

DTI

No comments:

Post a Comment